Consumer Gift card Program
project report tiger|
Active In SP
Joined: Feb 2010
10-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Consumer Gift card Program.doc (Size: 68 KB / Downloads: 67)
Project type: Application, web-based
Project title: Consumer Gift card Program
The consumer gift card program is a new initiative launched by Dixon departmental stores to attract new customers and thereby increase the sales of various products sold through its stores and ecommerce sites. Customers can buy the gift cards either online or at its various stores. The gift cards come in customizable denominations ie., the customer can decide the denomination of the gift card, subject to a minimum amount. The gift cards are valid for a term of 1 year (can be modified by administrator), after which their validity can be extended for another term by paying a nominal renewal fee. Gift cards can be redeemed either in one purchase or over multiple purchases. However, each purchase must be for a minimum amount.
The following transactions are possible on a gift card
1. Purchase of a gift card - The details maintained include â€œ gift card number (system generated), balance amount, date of issue and location of issue
2. Redemption of a gift card â€œ The details provided are â€œ gift card number, amount redeemed, date of redemption and location of redemption. The gift card must be redeemed prior to its expiry.
3. Renewal of gift card â€œ Upon expiry, the gift card can be renewed for a further period of 1 year by paying a renewal fee. System should maintain the new expiry date.
4. Query the status of a card â€œ Using the card number, the balance amount and expiry date of the card can be queried.
The Gift card administration system
This system will maintain details of all gift cards issued.
Only administrators will have access to the administration module. Administrator can do all transactions on a card - Purchase, redemption, renewal and query of cards
Administrators can maintain the following global parameters for the system
1. Minimum purchase amount
2. Validity period
3. Validity renewal period
4. Renewal fee
Administrators can do following queries for MIS information
1. Card sales and redemptions in a month
2. Average duration between purchase and redemption of a card
3. Expired Balance
4. Aging of unused balance
All transactions, either originating from administrator or merchandising applications, are logged for audit and verification.
Web services used by merchandising applications
The merchandising applications can do all transactions (purchase, renewal, redemption and query) on the gift card.
The merchandising applications utilize web services to perform these transactions. Each web service will have a set of input parameters and a set of output parameters. All the data is exchanged using XML.
The development team should ensure that there is reusability of code between the two modules. For a given functionality (eg. Renewal of card), the same code should be invoked whether it is requested by administrator from the online system or by merchandising application through web services.