SUPER MACHINE USING HTS full presentation
Active In SP
Joined: Feb 2011
25-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Super Machine Using HTS.PPT (Size: 634 KB / Downloads: 115)
SUPER MACHINE USING HTS
The advances in High Temperature Superconductors (HTS) are enabling a new class of synchronous rotating machines (i.e Super Motors and Super Generators) which can generically be categorized as Super Machines.
The field windings of the super machine are made with HTS conductor material which operates at 35-40 K and can be cooled with inexpensive.
HTS wire status…
o Generally the HTS wire matterial used in super machine are BSCCO or Bi-2223 matterials.
o The Bi-2223 is a high strength reinforced wire which is able to withstand close to 300 MPa tensile stress and 0.4% tensile strain at 77K.
o This reinforced wires provide a mechanically robust and reliable product, which are suitable for making high performance propulsion motors and generators.
HTS wire Architecture
The high strength reinforced Bi-2223 wire used in the field winding of Super machine are shown in the figure.
• A high temperature superconducting rotor for a super machine includes a high temperature supercond-ucting field winding.
Super Generator using HTS :-
• The Super Generator shown in Figure has three major subsystems; 1) rotor, 2) rotor cooling and 3) stator.
• Here the cryocooler is used for the cooling of the rotor elements.
• This super generator produces nearly clean AC voltage in the stator winding.
• The overall efficiency of this generator is 98.6% and the majority of losses (65%) are
in the conventional copper armature winding only.
• The world’s most powerful & first Super Motors using HTS were developed by American Superconductor’s (AMSC).
• Here the rotor assembly includes the HTS field winding operating at cryogenic temperature (~35 K), cooling loop, cryostat and electromagnetic (EM) shield . And the stator assembly includes AC stator winding, back iron, stator winding support, bearing and housing.
• This motor has met all design goals by demonstrating HTS field winding, cryocooling system and a novel armature winding cooled with fresh water.
A 5000 hp,1800 rpm Super Motor undergoing factory testing is shown in the bellow Figure
The successful HTS-based design, fabrication and operation fundamentally change the value proposition for electrical machines and demonstrate that HTS technology has attained a proven level for bringing high quality commercial products to the market today